Monday, January 29, 2007

A Magpie Bird


I was like an excited teenager when I chanced upon this lovely bird outside our backyard gate late one evening, about 3-4 meters away from where I was squatting, stroking our pet dog, Maxi.

It was busily pecking a piece of cooked (or was it uncooked?) chicken meat, most probably thrown by our backdoor neighbour who has this dirty uncivilized habit of throwing all kinds of kitchen/table scrap or waste down the drain that very often attract stray cats and rats...aargh!!

So, I ran inside to get my camera and managed to capture a few shots of it before it flew off and a couple more shots as it perched onto a telecommunication pole before it took flight. These are my first ever captured images of a bird and I'm so thrilled about it! :) In fact, birds such as magpies, sparrows, starlings, doves, hummers and crows visit our garden and its vicinity daily but we've never been able to photograph any, much to our disappointment. :(

These magpie birds that frequent our neighbourhood are black-billed and of the smaller species. The best thing that I love about them is their whistling, though loud and sharp it's musical and melodious and most often responded by another bird in duet. Such a delight to hear! You can be awakened by their sweet melody, or be fascinated with their occasional singing throughout the day until around dusk.

A wonderful link here to know more about the magpie bird and other birds of interest!

Updated on April 20, 2007 - My recent adventure with a pair of White-browed bulbuls (Pycnonotus luteolus)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search